Christ College of Arts & Science
Kilachery, Thiruvallur District
Preliminary Year : 2007-2008
- The preliminary works such as, demarking the necessary land, its documents, verification; approval from the PWD, Government and University of Madras, was done by Rev. Fr. Charles Kumar, Rev. Fr. Joseph Victor and Rev. Fr. P.B. Martin.
Academic Year 1 : 2008-2009
03-Jul-2008 - Started Christ College in a temporary building (Ground Floor of St. Joseph’s Higher Secondary School)
- With Christ Hostel for girls in the guest house of St. Joseph’s Hospital (Hospital Premises of Sisters of St. Ann’s of Providence)....
- Four courses such as BBA, B.Com, BCA & B.Sc Computer Science were permitted with a strength of 30 Seats per course. Out of 120 seats, 110 seats were filled, among which 30 boys and 30 girls were accommodated in the Hostels.
- P.B. Martin - Secretary; Fr. Lawrence Amalraj SJ - Principal; Fr. A.L. Anthony Sebastian - Vice Principal; and 12 Lecturers were appointed.
- Since the approval from the University of Madras was obtained late, the students were asked to write the first two semesters together in the month of April 2009. Even though the students were from the rural and tamil medium background, sustained motivation from the lecturers and the hard work of the students fetched 91% result.
Academic Year 2 : 2009-2010
- BBA & B.Com courses were allotted with 50 seats each; and BCA & B.Sc Computer Science were allotted with 30 Seats each. All the 160 seats were filled.
- Since Fr. Lawrence Amalraj was not able to work along with the Archdiocesan team, he was replaced by Dr. John Alphonse.
30-Nov-2009 - Inaugurated the Science Block with 12 Class Rooms, 1 Computer Lab, 3 Staff Rooms & 3 Office Rooms; and the Inaugurated the Open Air Auditorium; with the Financial support of the Archdiocese, and the Supervision of Fr. Diviyanathan (Financial Administrator) and Fr. John Andrew (Administrator of Properties). Blessed and Opened by the Archbishop and the Auxiliary Bishop; Priests of the Archdiocese were present.
Academic Year 3 : 2010-2011
03-Jan-2011 - Inaugurated the Administrative Block & Priests’ Residence. Rev. Fr. Arul Devadoss (MSSS Director) has sponsored the Administrative Block; and Rev. Fr. Paul Julian (Germany) has sponsored the Priests’ Residence. Blessed and Opened by the Archbishop and the Auxiliary Bishop; Priests of the Archdiocese were present.
- Foundation Stones were laid by the Bishops for Boys’ Hostel and Girls’ Hostel and both are still a dream.
- A.L. Anthony Sebastian assumed office as the Principal; and Rev. Fr. J. Arul Mani was appointed as Hostel Director. As the college stepped in the third year and the numbers of students were increased, the college had 20 lecturers.
- BBA & B.Com courses were allotted with 60 seats each; and BCA & B.Sc Computer Science were allotted with 50 Seats each. All the 220 seats were filled.
- Computer Lab was established with 100 computers.
Academic Year 4 : 2011-2012
- Fr. Roy KT was appointed as Hostel Director.
- Since there was no effort was taken by the Archdiocese to build the Girls’ Hostel, the dilapidated and disowned orphanage building of St. Anns of Madhavaram was renovated and made livable with the generous contribution of Fr. Julian and the tireless supervision of Mr. Francis, Retd. Head Master, Kilachery. This renovated Girls’ Hostel was blessed by the Auxiliary Bishop on 21st January 2012.
- The digitalizing the campus and making the students and staff to utilize the internet facility was done, with 24 hours internet leased line connection and connecting all the buildings with Optic Fiber Cables.
- The First Convocation of Christ College was held on 23rd March 2012. The first batch of 102 students appeared for the university exams and 98 of the has passed-out with 96.08 % of success by the college. The former Vice Chancellor of the University of Madras, Rev. Dr. Inacimuthu SJ, Archbishop, many neighbouring and Archdiocesan priests were present. In commemoration of the first convocation a souvenir brought out.
Academic Year 5 : 2012-2013
- Fr. Cyriac Illimootil was appointed as the first Rector with added responsibility as Hostel Director; and Fr. Roy KT was appointed as Director of Computer Labs.
- The New Library of 5,000 sq.ft was done with the help of Rev. Mother Leema Rosario, Mother General, St. Anns of Madhavaram; and Mr. Xavier Britto, Managing Director, Indev Logistics, Chennai.
- The open air Auditorium was renewed with new construction technology of thermocoal wall.
- As per the requirement of the University of Madras and the Government an additional Stair Case and external toilets for students were built with the help of the MSSS Director, Rev. Fr. P.A. Jacob
The new library, auditorium, toilets and staircase were inaugurated on the 21st June 2012 by Rev. Mother Leema Rosario, Rev. Fr. M.Arul Raj, VG, and Rev. Fr. P.A. Jacob.
- The old Girls’ hostel building was renovated into Staff Quarters comprising of nine rooms with kitchen and attached toilet; and seven bachelor’s room for ready occupation. This was possible by the generous contribution through Fr. Julian, who also helped us to prepare a play ground for the college.
- The Staff Quarters and the play ground were inaugurated; and the foundation stone for the Arts Block was laid by the Archbishop on 11th July 2012
- New Boys Hostel is under Construction since January 2011 and the progress was stalled for the third time, due to lack of funds.
- To fulfill the requirement of the University of Madras, Dr. I. Arlamma, a retired professor in Economics from St. Teresa’s College, Eluru was appointed as Additional Principal from January 2013.
Statistics of the Students 2012-13
- 51 % of Dalit Students
- 87 % of Girls
- 58 % of Christians
- 48 % of Catholics
18 October 2014 : Inauguration of Spiritual Awakening-Inter Faith
17-20 December 2014 : Inauguration of "Joy of Giving Week”
11 December 2014 : Inauguration of Kangu - Socio Political Awareness
New Scholarships : Rev. Fr. S.J. Antonysamy Scholarship
Mr. Antonysamy S & Mrs. Sandanamary Scholarship
19 March 2016 : Inauguration of Arts Block and PG Block
: Administrative Block is named after the visionary Fr. K. M.
: Science Block is named after Archbishop A. M. Chinnappa
: The New Arts Block is named after Archbishop George
: PG Block is named after Fr. Paul Julian
: The Priests Residence is named after Rev. Fr. Arul Devadoss
26 September 2016 : Affiliation of five new courses
New Scholarships : Archdiocese of Madras Mylapore Scholarship for the poor
: Most Rev. George Antonysamy Scholarship for the meritorious and deserving students.
: Rev. Fr. Paul Julian Scholarship for deserving students
PG Courses : Beginning of MSW, M.Com, MSc Computer Science
UG Courses : Beginning of B.A. English, B.Sc. Mathematics .
01 June 2018 : Girls Hostel takeover by sisters of St. Anne's of Providence
18 August 2018 : Decennial Celebrations
Inauguration of : Prayer Hall
Paver Blocks Roads